Drop/Withdrawal Information

Reducing Your Credit Hours or Dropping Classes

Reducing hours or dropping classes can have a serious impact on your financial aid. Depending on when you drop a class, you may have to re-pay some or all of your financial aid, or your refund may be withheld if your Financial Aid was reduced as a result of the decreased enrollment hours. In such a case, the refund is used to re-pay Financial Aid accounts on your behalf. If the refund is insufficient to cover the reduction in Financial Aid, you will be billed for the remaining charges.

If you are considering dropping classes and you are receiving financial aid, contact your UIC adviser as soon as possible at (866) 722-2268, option 2, to determine if and how your financial aid package will be affected. It is important to discuss this with your UIC adviser prior to dropping a class.

Drop/Withdrawal Policy

If you withdraw or are dismissed by the university, you will be billed for any amount of your federal/state aid that is considered an advanced payment. In addition, if you are due a refund of tuition and fees, a portion of that refund may be retained to repay the federal aid accounts on your behalf or to serve as a prepayment on your loan(s). Therefore, before actually dropping a course or withdrawing from the university, please contact your adviser as soon as possible at (866) 722-2268, option 2, to discuss the potential impact on your financial aid award for the current term.

When withdrawing from the university, your tuition will be prorated based upon the time of withdrawal. You will also be charged an administrative fee equal to five percent of assessed tuition and fees or $100, whichever is less.

If your withdrawal takes place before completing 60% of the term, an earned aid percentage will be calculated based upon the number of days attended, divided by the total number of days in the term. This percentage will be multiplied by the total amount of federal aid received. The result is the amount of aid you earned before withdrawing and are, therefore, allowed to keep. The difference between the federal aid disbursed to you and the amount of aid you are entitled to must be returned to the federal programs in the following order:

  1. Unsubsidized Direct Stafford Loan
  2. Subsidized Direct Stafford Loan
  3. Federal Perkins Loan
  4. Direct PLUS Loan
  5. Federal Pell Grant
  6. Federal SEOG
  7. Other Title IV Funds

If you have received funds from the state or an outside agency, or if you received institutional funds, the University of Illinois must follow the guidelines specified by those organizations regarding withdrawals. For most aid types, a prorated refund is required.